2.17.2011

Vegan Tzatziki

Last weekend both my husband and I were off work (a VERY rare occurrence), so we thought we'd cook up a feast couples-style, in the spirit of Valentine's Day.  I was surfing through some recipes before breakfast (mistake!) and suddenly had a hankering for some gyros with all the fixings.

Now.  There is a place very near to our house that sells gyros.  I have been there so often, and ordered the same thing so frequently, that when I go in there and I order The Kate, the cashier and the line cook guys know what I want.  This was pre-veganism, so The Kate is:  a double order of french fries, totally smothered in gyros, lettuce, tomato, and ladles of tzatziki.  You say it sounds gross; I challenge you to try it and still think so.

ANYWAY.  It was with The Kate in mind that I searched out recipes to make faux-gyros, tzatziki, and homemade pitas.  It took most of the afternoon to get everything together...and it was an utter FAIL.  The pitas didn't rise; the gyro meat was pretty MEH.

Really, the only good thing to come out of the whole ordeal was the tzatziki, which was DELICIOUS on Saturday night, and even better the next day.  Plus, it made a ton, so I put it on my lunches for most of this week.

Vegan Tzatziki
12 oz. Tofutti sour cream (or other non-dairy sour cream)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T lemon juice
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 T fresh mint, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 large seedless cucumber, grated
Fresh ground pepper to taste

1)  Get out a bowl and a spoon.
2)  Put all of the ingredients in the bowl and mix them with the spoon.
3)  Put this tzatziki on everything and anything within arm's reach.

I think you could also adapt this recipe, and use dill instead of mint.  That's probably what I'll try next time, as the tzatziki of The Kate has dill instead of mint and I like that just fine.

Inspiration (Incidentally, this is where the not-so-great faux gyro recipe is.  I don't really recommend that part.)

No comments:

Post a Comment