3.27.2011

Don't Call It A Comeback

Okay, I admit it:  I've pretty much totally sucked at Vegan Blogging for the past month or so.  I'm not going to give you a laundry list of excuses; suffice it to say that between my husband getting a new job in Seattle, going to Seattle to get him somewhat settled, and then returning to Chicago and figure out how to be Living Single (I wish it was that cool), I've been a little bit busy.

BUT ANYWAY!

Today I made a batch of delicious muffins.  It's pretending to be spring here--the sun is out, the sky is blue, and it's a balmy 35 degrees.  As such, I felt like making muffins that indicated the same level of sunniness.  No more heavy spices!  No more pumpkin!  Those things are best left to fall!  BRING ON THE SPRINGTIME MUFFINS!






Blueberry-Corn Muffins
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. olive oil
3/4 c. soy milk
2 T soy yogurt (I used vanilla)
1 t vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
1 1/4 c. fresh blueberries, rinsed and de-stemmed

1)  Preheat oven to 400F.  Grease either a) 1 12-normal-sized-muffins tin, or b) 1 6-gigantic-muffins tin (I made gigantic muffins, because gigantic muffins make better breakfasts).
2)  In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
3)  Add all wet ingredients (olive oil, soy milk, soy yogurt, and vanilla).  Mix with a wooden spoon.  Make sure to scrape the bottom a lot--the cornmeal tends to make sneaky dry clumps.
4)  Fold in the blueberries and lemon zest.  Be careful not to overmix and pulverize the blueberries!
5)  Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes (normal muffins) or 32-25 minutes (gigantic muffins), or until toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean.
6)  Allow to cool 5-10 minutes in tin before removing onto a cooling rack to avoid mushy muffins.

(Recipe sourced from Vegan With a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz)

No comments:

Post a Comment