2.11.2011

Animal Rights



If you were considering becoming vegan for animal rights reasons, I support that.  Do it!  Cows are sweet things with soft noses!  Chickens are cuddlier than one would think!  Pigs are—and, if you have heard me talk about my dog, even though he is a dog, you know this—TOTALLY ADORABLE!

BUT.  Okay.  Tonight I made the decision to check out PETA.com, just to see what was out there.  PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PETA PEOPLE!  I get irritated when they throw flour / pie filling / tofu all over people!  It seems very silly!

BUT. I made it through a minute and a half of a video about pig slaughter before I started crying and had to stop watching.

It’s one thing to think, “bacon is a tasty thing that smells good!”  Bacon smells delicious, I won’t lie; every other time I’ve broke The Veganism, it was for bacon.  It’s quite another to think, “bacon is a tasty thing that smells good, and it comes from sad, sad pigs!”

Investigate factory farming.  Not only for the welfare of the animals you’re eating, but for your OWN welfare (because honestly, the truth is kinda gross).  If you have a Netflix subscription, FOOD, INC. is a great documentary and it’s available to stream. When I think about how I used to buy Perdue chicken breasts at a buy-one-get-one-free rate at Jewel, I sort of want to puke.

Caveat: If you’re a lucky self-sustaining duck and you only eat eggs / chickens that you grew yourself, HEY! YOU WIN! THAT IS A-OK!  If I had the area to do a Chicken Thing, I probably would.

Also, we should get together.  I really want to own a goat so that it can a) eat my lawn and b) let me milk it for c) cheese purposes.  With our powers combined, we could make an omelet!

(Which I won’t eat.  Because I hate goat cheese.)

3 comments:

  1. I am not vegetarian, but applaude those who are(to each his own), I've seen the video you speak of a few years ago as it was posted via MSN. I so hate the way animals are treated, Pigs were coming off overloaded haul trucks, legs already broken(sad), but I eat to survive as the dominant species of the planet, they all taste so yummy lol. I am in the beginning stages of my startup, staking my claim to be the next BOB Evans, per I want to raise and grow all things that hit your plate(Hunaely treating my flocks), afterall, I am probably the worlds biggest nature freak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was supposed to be Humanely lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was young,my grandfather killed one of his chickens to serve for lunch when we visited him during summer.It wasnt a pretty sight,but I remember what he told me,that the chicken gave up it's life so it could feed us and make us strong.I didnt eat chicken that day, but I grew up understanding how important each meal was.

    ReplyDelete