2.11.2011

Date-Walnut-Banana-Pumpkin Muffins




I've been on a big muffin kick lately. The problem with that is, it's not like I can bop into Jewel on my way to work and pick something up. So, I was forced to find a muffin recipe.

When we were vegan back in 2007, I baked two things: a birthday cake for Andrew, and some cranberry-orange muffins. Both were...not good. The birthday cake was super-crumbly; the muffins had the delicate texture of granite. Thus, I kind of figured that these muffins would suck and I'd eat them anyway, but not enjoy it.

WRONG! They're awesome! And they don't scream VEGAN THESE ARE VEGAN OOH LOOK. I bet you could give them to the meat-and-potatoes dude in the cubicle next to you and he would NEVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.



Vegan Date-Walnut-Banana-Pumpkin Muffins
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind!)
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon*
1/2 tsp. nutmeg*
1/4 tsp. cloves*
1 c. chopped dates
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 vegan egg (1 heaping tbsp. ground flaxseed + 1/4 c. water)
3/4 c. soy / rice / almond milk
1/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 banana, mashed
3/4 c. canned pumpkin

1) Preheat oven to 400.
2) Make your vegan egg by mixing together the flaxseed & water; allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3) Mix together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
4) Mix in dates and walnuts. Making sure that the dates / walnuts are covered in flour mixture keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins!
5) Add soy milk, applesauce, vanilla, banana, and pumpkin. Mix thoroughly!
6) Distribute into oiled muffin pans. This made enough batter for 6 regular-sized and 6 jumbo-sized muffins, so it will probably yield 18 regular-sized muffins.
7) Bake for 20-22 minutes. Jumbo muffins will take longer.
8) Remove from muffin pans after cooling for 5 minutes to avoid sogginess!

*These amounts are totally up to you, really. I really like super-spiced-up stuff, so I definitely added more. PLUS, it turned out that the pumpkin I bought was actually that "just-add-eggs-and-milk-for-a-pumpkin-pie" stuff, which is ALREADY SPICED. Add spice until it tastes good to you.

Source (with tweaks!)

1 comment:

  1. I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this muffin widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for muffins,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete